A Free Site Brought To You By

Amended Return

When should pilots and flight attendants consider filing an amended tax return?

An amended tax return is filed when some kind of error was discovered on a tax return that was already filed.  Pilots & flight attendants may wish to file an amended tax return if they did not take advantage of flight crew tax deductions on a past tax return that they filed.

Can pilots or flight attendants get a refund by amending a return?

To get a tax refund (reduced tax liability) that you should have been entitled to but didn't file for, you may file and amended return within three years from the date you filed your return, or two years from the date you paid the tax, whichever is later.  For example, assume you just filed your 2013 tax return and realize you did not take advantage of flight crew tax deductions on your 2010, 2011, and 2012 tax returns. You can still amend that for 2010, 2011, and 2012.  However, you can only amend that return if it is mailed by April 15, 2014. If it was your 2009 tax return that you wish to change, you would be unable to file that amended return because it has been longer than 3 years.

What form is used to amend a tax return?

The form that gets used to file an amended tax return is called IRS Form 1040X.  It should also be noted that 1040X must be done by hand, as it is not available in electronic format.

User Agreement | Per Diem Deduction | Full Service Crew Taxes | Pilot Jobs
Copyright 2010 Aviation Tax Glossary. All Rights Reserved.
Sign In